Production Overdrive

If I thought last week was productive it has nothing on this! I think now that I’m finally set on an overall style for my tableware, I’ve found it much easier to ramp up the making and I’m brimming with ideas for further pieces.

I’ve made even more plaster bats! Three smaller plates and a rectangular one.  I think that might be enough to keep me going for a while but I will be keeping my eye open for possible casting surfaces.  Preston station floor is very tempting!!

I’m getting to be a dab hand at mixing up plaster now and estimating how much I need for each cottle.  These were again quickly put into use.

I’ve also used the slump mould I made with Dave.

img_0167

and I’ve been working on some taller forms as I’m keen to add height to the table setting.

img_0171img_0172

These were made with a large slab of clay that had to have the texture added to it in sections, with it being much larger than any of my bats.  I then wrapped the clay around a former and sealed the seam.  The seal is easily disguised by rolling the clay, still on the former, over the bat again.  Once I was happy with the seam, I then added a bottom and worked again in the same way here.  The rim is treated in the same way as the rim of the plates, with the clay being sheared off and lines added.  It’s important to let the clay firm up before standing it upright,  as it tends to slump at the bottom if you don’t.  Luckily the PF660 is robust enough to lay like that without slumping in that direction.  I plan to make a third vase to go with these two, as I prefer a grouping of three.

Finally, here’s this weeks results from the kilns.

img_0140

Here you can see in the top picture the bisqued bowl which was washed over with Geoff’s black stain, mono printed with the slip containing 5% emerald and 3% black iron oxide, had a small line drawn on it with the ceramic ‘wax’ crayon and finally a thin layer of temple glaze brushed on.  The second photo shows it after the glaze firing.  Negatives for me with this bowl are 1) use of parian slip so still getting the cold, bluey look.  2) I think I’ve been a bit over zealous with the ‘chipped’ effect.  I like it but think it should be used in combination with wire wooling.  3) The Temple glaze hasn’t been diluted quite enough.  On the positive side I like the addition of the mono-printed colour.  Here’s a few more pieces.

I definitely prefer to have the texture on the inside of the bowl as opposed to the outside.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: