This week I’ve been working on some more slab built plates. I’m hoping to have a few sets ready in time for my first assessment in a week’s time. I particularly like these ones. The slabs were rolled a bit thinner that some of the other plates I’ve made so far, so they have a lightness to them that I think works well. I just cut some plate like shapes out and then rolled them further to give a looser, less obvious look. After they’d firmed up a bit I brushed on some slurry around the edges and raked this lightly with my finger tips. It looked a bit odd as it dried but once I’d covered the whole plate with various layers of slip, it started to come together. I didn’t use the mono printing technique this time but am still very happy with the overall result at this stage.
They lightened slightly after the bisque firing.
I gave them all a black iron oxide wash to add to the depth. Here they are drying out in the sun.
They’re now in the kiln for a glaze firing. I poured transparent glaze on to the upper side only. Waiting for it to cool down so I can see how they turn out. I’m slightly worried that it will be too glossy as I haven’t developed my own version of a transparent glaze yet so am using a bought one from Bath Potters. Should give some idea though. I’ll post the final results later.
I did a few more test tiles of some bought glazes and also of oxide washes as well.